Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

What capacitors to buy to refurbish old RCA amp?

Figured it's time to refurbish my old RCA mono amplifiers (MI-12188A). These are rather large 70W PPP 807 amplifiers, with a big choke input power supply, and regulated screen supply.

Right now the coupling capacitors are a motley assortment of originals and replacements. The replacements are more or less whatever I had on hand when the originals failed.. I've never been one to fix something which isn't broken, but would like to "normalize" the amplifiers so they're both the same.

Now, I don't really want to use either orange drops, or the ever present yellow film caps. Each amp needs four 0.1uf capacitors, three at 400V and one at 200V. I also need one 0.5uf at 1000V, and a couple of fairly low value electrolytics. I'd also like to try and get "made in USA" parts if at all possible, it seems a shame to use China parts in 65 year old US equipment. So for the electrolytics I guess Sprague Atoms are the only real option.

I'm also on the fence about replacing the filter capacitors - 8uf 1000V rectangular can paper in (probably PCB) oil capacitors. They seem to be working fine.. no heating and no hum in the audio. I don't own a capacitor tester which is capable of putting high voltage on them, but maybe there is some sort of pass/fail test I can use to make absolutely sure they're okay.

What sort of capacitors do you guys use in vintage sound equipment which you care about?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - What capacitors to buy to refurbish old RCA amp? - maxhifi 16:58:34 02/09/16 (39)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.