Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

What the world needs is another WE91-inspired amp!

No, it doesn't. But I'm going to do it any way. My first build was a 6C6-2A3 and I'm not ready to move on yet. I like my first build, now that it does not screech at me. I'd also like to evolve the basic design a little and maybe give back. I hope I can give back something better than an expensive mess. We'll see.

Objectives

Well, I'd like to (un)learn from this build - to add to my build notes and probably tear others up. As for the amp itself:

Topology

Please bear with me. The topology is a 6C6 directly coupled to a 2A3, running at low dissipation. The circuit was drawn by Jeff Medwin - he did a really nice job and included the important voltages, current flows, wattages, calculations etc. I will not be building it as drawn though. Why? Because it would not meet my objectives, of course. While I am happy with the operating points etc., I want to build with more conventional capacitor values, loads, hum nulling, and power supply. Rest easy my friends.

Details? I agreed not to publish Jeff's circuit, even though I am only using parts of it. But, a decent description will get you 90% of the way there, which may be 85% too much for some. These are designed as monoblocks.

The 2A3 runs at Jeff's favourite ~42mA/250V/-48V bias (grid to cathode) operating point. That is also consistent with my belief that 2A3s and 300Bs like being run at roughly 1:6 plate mA:V and at less than 75% of max dissipation. Being directly coupled, the grid sits at ~150 VDC to grnd. The tube is loaded with a nice 4k2 output transformer - just a little higher than optimum. Hum is nulled with my usual combo of 22Rs and a 10R Vishay 26-trun bulk foil trimmer. It works.

~460V B+ is supplied to this stage by a good ol' pi filter (CLC) done pretty well. The filter has been calculated to provide low impedance at audio frequencies and have a recovery time <= 40mS - fast enough to accurately reproduce my home recording of Ludo meows Burial's Street Halo. Modelling in PSUD shows a PS with no ringing and low ripple. Details? A nice Super Hi-B power transformer juicing 5R4 --> 10 uF film C --> 7 Hy/10 DCR L --> 130 uF film C. A CL-80 thermistor (with C bypass) will be used for slow start up. I hope it all works.

The 6C6 input/ driver runs at the same points as per the final JE Labs Radiotron design. 295V B+ for this stage is just a RC node (~50 uF C) after the CLC, using a voltage divider to shunt about 10mA to ground. This reduces the variation of V across the dropping R (i.e smaller R) and and drains the power supply caps at switch off. Some adjustment of current is possible in the Cathode via another Vishay 26-trun bulk foil trimmer, this one making up about 25% of the total cathode resistance.

So, that is it. Now you know where I am coming from with this build. Actually, now you probably know more than you wanted. I'll keep it brief in future. Next? I have no idea - maybe transformers or chassis design.

Ludo is our cat, not my girlfriend.

Cheers,

"Confusion of goals and perfection of means seems to characterise our age." Albert Einstein

Edits: 02/08/16 02/08/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - What the world needs is another WE91-inspired amp! - 91derlust 01:49:44 02/08/16 (16)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.