Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Choke VS Transformer

OK, I see where you're coming from. Here's my attempt to describe it...

The original circuit uses a center-tapped choke. The two halves of the winding are closely coupled, perhaps bifilar-wound to assure symmetry. Because of the coupling, any current flowing through one half of the winding creates an equal but opposite current in the other half.

The reason the choke must be specifically designed for this use is that one winding is operating with a virtual open circuit (the grid of the lower 2A3). Even if voltage balance weren't an issue, most transformer windings are designed to operate with a specific operating impedance. Failure to maintain the proper load causes frequency response anomalies, such as high- or low-end rolloff. Operating a standard transformer at too high an impedance can also create undesired resonances that degrade frequency response within the passband.

Regarding the voltage balance I mentioned above, even in this case it will gradually degrade as frequency rises. Inter-winding capacitance will affect the open-circuited winding well before the winding that's attached to the lower operating Z of the driver tube. However, the same design techniques that allow the transformer to exhibit good high-end response into an open circuit should move this characteristic well out of the range of audible frequencies.

Hope this is clear. I'll be glad to go into more detail if needed.

Edits: 01/31/16 01/31/16 01/31/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.