Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: What happened to all the parts??

The parts problem is a sign of the times. If you think this is bad, try restoring or even maintaining an old car. The shipping can easily double your cost, and it doesn't help that companies insist on sending little items the size of a thimble via UPS for $12-15. I fight with suppliers constantly on this issue.

Anyway, about the cathode resistors, I want to point out that hum pickup has a lot to do with the diameter of the windings, not just total inductance. Most 10-turn pots consist of physically large turns of resistance wire. That's a good reason not to use them for this, especially in low-level stages.

I have not had any problems using wirewound resistors for cathodes. If you measure the inductance of a standard resistor, you'll find it's insignificant at these frequencies. The only place it becomes an issue in my opinion is grid stoppers. They need low inductance in order to dampen circuit Q and prevent RF oscillation. That's not the case in the cathode.

I buy most fixed-value power resistors from the folks at the link below. You can also often find these parts on eBay if you have the patience to search values for non-Chinese NOS.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.