Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

What the ??????

Now this one really has me puzzled. As part of my effort to determine what parts I still need to order for the deuce26/45 build, I wanted to try some older 10 turn pots I have in my parts bins to see if they would work as hum pots.
I have a separate filament trans and hum pot on each of the 3 tubes I have bread boarded; two 26's and a 45. I have a r/c node off the main B+ supply for the 45 filament and another r/c node off the same B+ supply that goes to a rheostat that is used to reduce the voltage of the two 26 2.5vac filament trans down to 1.5vac. There is a separate cathode resistor and cap tied to the wiper of each hum pot and then to ground.
The very first hum pot is just a regular hum pot, not a 10 turn one. I took one of my ten turns and put it in place of the standard hum pt. Very loud hum resulted that I could not null out with the pot. Thinking it might be a bad pot I tried two more 10 turns of different brands and got the same results. Also tried one of the chinese 10 turns, no change. If I disconnected the ground wire of the cathode resistor/cap pair connected to the center wiper of the pot, the hum stopped. So I put the standard hum pot back in and hooked up the ground wire again and everything is back to normal. No hum. Disconnect the ground wire on this one though and it hums, hook it back up and it stops. Just the opposite of the 10 turn pot. And it only happens on this first 26 tube. I tried putting the standard hum pot on the second 26 instead and it still hummed with the ten turn on the first tube.
What could be different about the 10 turn pots that is causing this? I suppose I could leave the standard hum pot in place, but then I would loose the fine adjustment of the 10 turn. Anyone got any ideas?

Edits: 01/25/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - What the ?????? - vinnie2 14:48:14 01/25/16 (22)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.