Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Well, you have to ask yourself "What is a ST-70?"

I read what you posted ans I have to say I am in full agreement but not from any experience of knowledge(you guys are much better than me) but what others have said. A good friend and tech told me when you add too much UF's you change the T/C's(time constants) which can relate to what some would say too bass heavy. He suggests never going over two times the original but he also has said to use as little UF's as possible just to get it quiet. He always felt that when too much UF's are used the musicality is compromised. He also said that Hafler did not really match things to the schematic but he did stay in the tolerance %.

Also, many mods of adding this, that, or the other thing never really deals with the weakest link in the B+ chain. The power transformer. It is too anemic to deliver the current and have enough headroom to spare.

Whenever I did mods to an ST-70 or a Mk III I took out the choke, put a resistor(100-500 ohms or so) in its place, and used another decoupling stage(R/C) before the input stage. The amp was just as quiet and seemed to get faster(more neutral).

One thing I never realized was adding another tube rectifier but with that you would need a larger filament supply for it which again results in changing the power transformer.

With all the stuff you said to do it is not a Dynaco anything any more and it just pays to build your own amp from scratch.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Well, you have to ask yourself "What is a ST-70?" - xaudiomanx 17:28:48 01/23/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.