Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Does anybody know the Welborne Remote Attenuator?

I have one of these that I bought and built about 10 years ago, and it never really worked for me. The first step was always too loud. The pots that I "temporarily" put in place are still there, but are really noisy, and besides, I'm getting lazy and want remote control.

I'd like to revisit this thing as I still have it. I have the instructions but there is no schematic.

We all know that something happened with Welborne and he started not delivering or answering emails or questions. But the funny thing is that when I googled this there are some early posts where he answers questions and seems to be an OK guy to work with.

But my big question here is with the parts on this. There are 2 ICs that have the number rubbed off. Does anybody know what they are? These are the main control (shunt?) that makes the thing work, with 5 control inputs from the remote receiver on pins 15-19 of 20 total pins. Pins 8 and 10 are connected to signal out. I've been scouring the net, but don't come up with anything. It does say 0527A2 520AJ on it, but those aren't the part numbers. Clearly this is the guts of the device, and Welborne wanted to keep this secret. After 10 years and basically going out of business, we need the secret revealed.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Does anybody know the Welborne Remote Attenuator? - zacster 15:49:12 01/18/16 (9)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.