Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Strangely I don't do "bass slam"....

When I think of "slam" I think of the Ravel/Moussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition - particularly the final Great Gate of Kiev section, with some very enthusiastic orchestral bass drums. Or the 1812 overture with its cannon shots. It's an impulse sound, with a very high peak pressure requiring a lot of momentary acoustic energy at very low frequencies. Huge transformer inductance helps - many SETs have a power bandwidth that falls off below 50Hz - but loud bass impulses are still likely to place the most severe power requirements on an amplifier.

It is often claimed the tube watts (especially SET watts) are somehow bigger than solid-state watts. IMHO that's just because SETs overload gracefully, so you can operate them into occasional overload without noticing. Big bass transients expose their limitations, partly because the frequency range between the bass transient and the midrange is too great for the ear's masking effect to cover up the distortion.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Strangely I don't do "bass slam".... - Paul Joppa 18:28:49 11/24/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.