Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: What Speakers Are You Using for Low Power SETs?

I use Altec 601Bs or 755Cs mostly. The 601s like 7 watts. The 755s get along with 2 watts better at moderate levels. Bi-amping and/or using subs is necessary for the flea powered amps.

Another spkr setup I have is an Altec A7 (sort of). A 1 watt 46 amp drives a 302 horn louder than I can stand, sounds great, and crosses over at 300hz. For bass it uses a 200 watt solid state amp. The trick is to get a 15" paper cone woofer to blend well with a horn diaphragm. I never did get it as good as I want, but that's the trade off. When I play pink floyd at 100dbs it doesn't matter.

The Klipsh LaScalas sound great with 1-2 watt amps but the xovers have their flaws, and you will still need a sub.

You will need to choose your trade off. Efficiency, range, coherence, SPLs. In general I'd lean toward bi-tri amping with flea powered amps (and high powered amps for bass). A revisit with Edgars tractrix horn might be worth another look too.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What Speakers Are You Using for Low Power SETs? - hifipaul 09:16:09 11/23/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.