Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

I Cheat (a little)

1000Hz and up go through a TAD2002 and wooden Le Cléac'h curve horns. (109db per watt)
125Hz to 1000Hz go to a pro 10' midrange (around 100db per watt).
Below 125Hz is a Pair of dedicated bass speakers driven by a solid state amp.

Crossovers are Erno Borbely discrete JFET 24dB electronic for the 125Hz, and passive 12dB for the 1000Hz. I used Fuzzmeasure and a measurement microphone to set the 1000Hz crossover. Fuzzmeasure is awesome, well worth the $150 as you can take measurements in your room that look like how it sounds.

Upstairs I have a pair of lightly modified Klipsch Heresy speakers. They do have a sound. What helps make them more HiFi is to not drive below 100Hz signals through them. The pleated surround woofers get muddy when playing full range compared to cutting them off. Again, a sub to handle the room loading really helps.

In both of these cases, keeping 20Hz signals out of both the low power amp and the high efficiency speakers seems to me to be magic. To do great bass with 1 watt is hugely expensive and huge. I have listened to 5 foot diameter bass horns that still needed subs. Most of the time I do not listen to music at live levels, and the bass will lean out when the volume is turned down. Being able to control the sound makes me happy.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I Cheat (a little) - Chip647 06:35:11 11/23/15 (1)
    • Me too - Tre' 11:37:47 11/23/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.