Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Would this scope be suitable for amp testing?

IMO, you are far better off buying a used analog scope from Ebay. There are many to choose from and many are also former high end scopes.

If your budget allows I would recommend Tektronix or HP. These were the high end of scopes. Below that are Leader, Hitachi, B&K, Sencore. These brands were more TV service grade but nevertheless good solid scopes which are fine for amp building.

Computers are hositle EMI/RFI climates. The power supplies are not well filtered and need not be for digital circuits. For simple digital timing measurements this is fine. But consider measuring the noise floor of a phono preamp with a cheap PC scope. Not gonna happen!

Note try to buy a used scope with a service manual or check that a service manual is still available. A lot of legacy gear now has service manuals in the public domain for free. Also make sure the CRT is in good shape. CRT's are dead technology and unless NOS, finding a replacement is going to be difficult to impossible.

Edits: 11/09/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Would this scope be suitable for amp testing? - gusser 13:13:31 11/09/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.