Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Preamp with high pitch whine from 1 channel

I tried the preamp on with two different power amps, same noise, same channel. I also reversed the output IC's at the outputs and noise changed channels. I now have a different preamp installed with original amps and no noise; thus, I concluded it is the preamp. I have used 3 different 5687's same noise, same channel and I swapped the CF tubes channel to channel and same noise, same channel. The noise is a high pitch ring, unlike any microphonic tube I have ever encountered.

Next steps, all new tube is noisy channel, not just 5687 and CF, but also rectifiers, voltage reg and current reg tubes as well, clean all sockets, and hit all solder joints with hot iron.

There are grid stoppers on 5687 and CF. They measure correct, but maybe I should replace with higher values????
"Anyone who understands jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra.

Cpwill

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.