Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Amp hum - do I have an issue (or just need education!)?

I have been having issues with light switches and household appliances causing ticks, pops and in some cases, causing my DAC to protectively mute.

One recommendation was to check my system grounding. The process involved removing RCAs from my amp (DIY 6C6 - 2A3 SE) and listening for hum level to set a reference then make comparisons with various components attached.

Well, removing RCAs from my amp creates one hell of a hum! Is this normal or does it suggest an underlying issue? Other details: with inputs connected, my amp has low noise (for AC filaments); the amp has continuity between the chassis (various points tested), RCA grounds and safety earth; there is 120k resistance between RCA signal and ground, as expected; in all other ways, the amp has been reliable.

Shorting plugs would force the input to 0V (I think)... but why would there be voltage on the signal input without?

Thanks for any assistance.

Cheers,

"Confusion of goals and perfection of means seems to characterise our age." Albert Einstein

Edits: 11/02/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Amp hum - do I have an issue (or just need education!)? - 91derlust 00:47:12 11/02/15 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.