Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Good DIY Phonostages...

You'll probably get as many opinions on this as there are Asylum members. I recommend that you read the late Allen Wright's white paper on phono preamps at the link below. Then look in the "Schematics" section of his Website for the FVP5A, an updated version of the FVP5 described in his paper. You might also Google "phonodude 5755" for an interesting design using zero-bias triodes. There are also a few circuits on the Steve Bench site that members here seem to like (I haven't built them myself). There are hundreds, if not thousands, of other designs out there. Whatever you choose, I would caution that not all schematics on the Web are legitimate. Some have been cobbled together by persons who lack the qualifications to publish (as implied by the inherent errors in their work), and in some cases, individuals who apparently never actually built the circuit. Stick with well-known sources, and you'll be OK. Also note that if you're considering a kit, Bottlehead gets very high marks from its users.

Edits: 10/26/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.