Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Anyone try undadjustable fixed bias?

I am making a PP el84 amp out of an organ amplifier. The amp was originally a mono push pull parallel el84 amp with a 5u4 rectifier. I am just going to reuse the chassis sockets and power trans. This original amplifier PT has 2 bias taps one is CT and the other just a single voltage source.
So, I have been going thru various schematics and since the PT has a CT bias I would like to make an amp with fixed bias. The one scheme I like is the Scott 299 with a 6BL8 front end to PP el84 (7189). It seems like the circuit B+ would be about spot on with this power trans. I was just about ready to dive in when I came across a PP 6973 amp in the RCA tube manual. This amp uses fixed bias that is really fixed! I like this design because it is slightly simpler than the Scott 299 with the extra pots and wiring. So, I would use the Scott 299 schematic except with fixed fixed bias utilizing the ct bias supply with a FWBR and maybe a 5K pot so I can adjust the total amount of bias voltage. I also plan to put 10 ohm resistors on the el84 with a test point for each so I can at least determine the idle current for each el84 and select the 4 that are the closest. Anyway, I have not tried something like this before and wanted to know if anyone had suggestions or comments. thanks in advance, Dak

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Topic - Anyone try undadjustable fixed bias? - DAK 23:19:41 08/30/15 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.