Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Disagree, you clearly do not understand measurement.

Again, I don't know what you mean by "science"

Facts told us that feedback increases the number of upper ordered distortion and that has been known for a long time.

"Norman Crowhurst wrote a fascinating analysis of feedback multiplying the order of harmonics, which has been reprinted in "Glass Audio," Vol 7-6, pp. 20 through 30. He starts with one tube generating only 2nd harmonic, adds a second tube in series (resulting in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th), and then makes the whole thing push-pull (resulting in 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th), and last but not least, adds feedback to the circuit, which creates a series of harmonics out to the 81st. All of this complexity from "ideal" tubes that only create 2nd harmonic!"

It's also been known for a long time that the higher the order of the HD the more objectionable it is. It was purposed decades ago to weight the HD by the square of the order so that the numbers would better represent the annoyance factor.

I beginning to think when you say science you mean "the marketing department". Higher power, lower THD, etc....... That wasn't the best of science. They knew better at the time but wanted to sell product not made good product.

Tre'
Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

Edits: 08/30/15 08/30/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.