Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Are they SE amps or PP?

I am NOT an expert on valve circuits nor on PSU's but I do like to absorb general principles, that are supported by empirical evidence.

Viz? A good high-storage PSU sounds better than a good but VR-limited PSU. Ripple will be a whole lot lower, for a start.

And, that SS diodes offer you the possibility to substantially increase the energy storage in a valve amplifier, which VRs don't like. If we square 50 volts we get a factor of 2,500 if we square 300 V ( 6 times the volts) we get a factor of 90,000. Divided by 2,500 we get 36 times the storage.

In other words a quite small valve amp - in WPC terms - can have a far stiffer PSU than most BIG SS amps. And IMO&E far better bass. Less dry and tight perhaps but lots of slam. If it's a PP NFB amp then the advantage is considerable.

That is I am not claiming that good SS diodes - SRs / Schottkys - snubbed or not sound better than VRs, but pointing out that VR's do limit the stiffness we can achieve in a PSU.

Peak Inverse Voltage is the limitation VRs have.

I don't see how a VR can to do anything special to the sound a PSU gives us, but I know that a VR will limit the volts we can get and severely limit the amount of storage we can have. I also know that their use in guitar amps is because of the sag they are able to give. No Hi-fi amp needs sag.

So I ask, why do it?

Back to your amps?

It may, as you think possible, be overkill to increase the storage of your 1 watt amps. I don't know.

While it is quite possible to have too much storage which can pulse the PT too much, I haven't heard any negative consequences from these big PSUs in the LEAK St20s. The PT in these is probably a bit stressed in hot climates, so it could have been an issue.

I don't have an OEM LEAK St 20 circuit diagram to hand, but they had IIRC, three? or four 32uf? (small ones anyway) capacitors, circuit-value wise. Two in one can I think.

We used 4 x 470uf 400V dark-brown Nichicon caps in the bass-duty amp and 3 in the mid-treble amp. The last two in each amp are bypassed with MKP and MKS caps.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

Edits: 08/30/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.