Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Questions about Cathode Follower

I am planning to build a 'Williamson' based power amp with 3 pairs of KT150 in Triode mode.

I am trying to get the design parameters right before I start to pour money into the project.

As suggested by some website (Lenardaudio), I added a cathode follower (6CG7) after the driving tube (12au7) to lower the impedance to drive the 3 pairs of KT150. (Please see the attached schematics)

As some suggested, the anode plate voltage of the 12au7 needs to be at 200-250V running at 5-6mA each section to fully utilized the potential of the tube.

As the 12au7 is direct couple to the cathode follower (6CG7), the cathode of the 6CG7 will be at 230-250V already. Thus the anode plate voltage of the 6CG7 need to be at double of that which is around 470V.

I am concern the anode plate voltage for the 6CG7 is too high at 470V.

My question is, when the tube spec said the maximum design voltage for the anode plate of 6CG7 is 300V, is that the absolute maximum, or is it the maximum voltage between the anode and the cathode ???

Alan

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Questions about Cathode Follower - akltam 00:35:33 08/24/15 (22)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.