Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Negative Side Choke

To do a useful analysis, you must first determine the power transformer's winding design. When I tried to explore that last night, I came up with a very complicated circuit!

In the first analysis, the capacitance between a winding and an adjacent core (which is chassis/safety grounded) will be several hundred picofarads - not a big deal at 120Hz, but enough to pass tons of diode switching noise and other HF junk. It greatly exceeds the self-capacitance of the filter choke winding.

More realistically, consider a primary winding adjacent to the core, followed by a HV winding with the center tap in its middle. Further assume the power line neutral is adjacent to the core. Then there is a capacitance from neutral to chassis ground (the core) in parallel with the house wiring which grounds the neutral line at the power entry box. Between the hot side and neutral of the primary there is a voltage source of 120v. From the hot side to the secondary is another capacitance, followed by anther voltage source of the HV half winding, to the center tap. All of this is in parallel with the filter chokes. Lots of opportunity to induce noise bypassing the choke impedance.

At that point, realizing it was both complex and dependent on the design of the specific power transformer, I went to bed. :^)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.