Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: different types of russian caps.....

I usually don't post too much about capacitors, but in the case of the Russian surplus caps I make an exception. I have been using the Russian caps for 13 years now. In the spirit of DIY the Russian caps represent great value, and if used properly are as good if not better than boutique caps. I have a huge supply, so don't mind getting the word out. My observations are pretty close to yours, with the exception of the level playing field, concerning the Russian silver and micas and the FT-3 Teflons.

Give the Russian SSG (CCR) Silver and mica caps equal opportunity (correct value), my favorite coupling caps, followed by the FT-3 Teflons. The KBG-MN (KGR-MH) are my favorite cap in the 1-10uf range, really good as output caps in preamps/linestages, parafeed caps, and in speaker crossovers. These are of true paper and oil construction, but aren't slow and syrupy like some PIOs. Some have aluminum foil and a few are copper foil, as Forest Gump says "like a box of candies". Another cap, that you don't show, is the MBGOs I use them in power supplies instead of electrolytics or motor runs, they also make great arrays for cathode bypass duties. I'm running 4 160V 30uf MBGOs in parallel in a 300B amp as cathode bypass caps, with very good results. These are of metalized paper and oily/waxy/granular kind of stuff. Not as nice sounding as the KBGs but are pretty darn good, the best I've found in larger values and voltage. Another cap, the K75-10s have technicolor mids, with a slight sacrifice in the extreme highs, great for voicing purposes.

Of course the down side is the size. I don't mind, as I build my stuff from scratch, and don't have the WAF to deal with, so can make them as large as I like. Lately I'm building a pretty heavy set of amps, that is a 2 stage integrated design, with the power supplies on a separate chassis. Both chassis are pretty large and heavy, only adds to the steam punk mad scientist look. 8-)) Have fun!

twystd

Edits: 08/13/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.