Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Advice please: cathode and power supply capacitors

I've made a transition over the years when it comes to large value caps (greater than 10uf). At first I went with electrolytics, then found an improvement with Solen type caps, next I went to motor runs, now I use Russian MBGO caps. Sometimes I have to parallel a bunch to get enough uf. I try and eliminate cathode bypass caps when I can, however sometimes I can't, and I make an array of 30uf 160V MBGOs. They are cheap enough to do so, and I think are the best sounding option I've been able to come up with.

The Russian sellers claim them to be paper and oil, but I've cut them apart to see. They are actually a metalized paper construction, impregnated in a waxy/oily substance. The big drawback is they are huge. I don't mind, as I make my own chassis and enclosures. They would be difficult to deal with if you want to use them in an existing chassis.

Ever since I've discovered how good some of the Russian surplus capacitors are, I don't feel the need for expensive boutique capacitors anymore. Unfortunately the prices have gone up on them, and they are getting harder to find. I use MBGOs in power supplies and cathode bypass duties, KBGs for parafeed and speaker crossover duties, K40-Ys if I want a PIO coupler, FT-3 if I want a teflon coupler, or my fave coupler the SSG and KSG silver and micas.

twystd

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Advice please: cathode and power supply capacitors - twystd 21:17:37 07/05/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.