Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Making Circuit Boards

TK, this method is SO much work, does a lousy, ugly job, and is just not worth it in any sense. You'll put in hundreds of dollars in effort and aggravation before you get a single working board. And I speak as a guy who's tried every DIY technique imaginable for making boards, including setting up my own plated-through-holes lab and DIY etching.

Why go to that much trouble when you can have a batch of double-sided plated-through-hole boards done overnight for around 100 bucks? I use Bay Area Circuits in the SF Bay area all the time for this, their boards are great quality and they have never let me down. I have no affiliation with them, they are just the best fab house I've found for quick jobs.

All you need for the layout part of the job is FreePCB. A decently shallow learning curve to get going, plenty powerful for anything I have thrown at it, and....it's free!

For quick hand made prototypes, I buy 4x5 pieces of board, covered with plated thru holes on a 0.1 inch spacing. Cost is only about 12 bucks! You can order these with and without a ground plane as well. You can find them

Edits: 06/21/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.