Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Hammond output transformers

I don't recall any Hammonds that used a PPP output stage, but I could be wrong. I'm mostly familiar with the M100 series that I own, and just a few others. That aside, I think the first priority in your case is to determine the output Z. Many of the old tube organs used 16 ohm speakers. Assuming the primary is 4K (not 2K), you could test the transformer to determine the turns ratio. Alternately, there are lots of Hammond schematics out there on the Net, and you could search for one that uses four EL84s in the output. The schematic should tell you the speaker impedance, and might even include the factory part number of the output transformer. Once all that is sorted out, you'll probably have to test the frequency response yourself in order to know for sure if it's suitable. I have several Hammond amps that I'm planning to scavenge, but no chance yet to qualify the transformers. There's always the possibility they won't be useful for anything other than musical instrument amps.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.