Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Help me tame my new potentiometer--too sensitive

I have a firm recommendation which will both improve your problem and is also likely to improve the sound quality.
It is to use a series resistor with the pot as below, in place of the 'upper half' of the pot.

Identify the pot connectors; input, wiper, earth. Input-earth will measure 50kohms; with pot set almost fully anticlockwise, wiper-earth will measure a very low value.

Disconnect the input lead from the pot and connect it via a resistor to the wiper. That's it; leave earth connections as they are, leave the output connection on the wiper terminal.

I suggest in your case a resistor about 75kohm. The pot will,in use, typically be at under 10kohm setting so the input resistance will be typically between 75k and 85k ohms; as the unit works well with a 100k pot this will be absolutely fine. The slight variation in input resistance in use will be of no consequence.
If it is still too sensitive, change the pot to say a 25k one and leave the series resistor as is.

Use a good quality resistor and you should get an improvement in sound quality; and use a low power rating! Takman carbon are good, but consider Shinkoh and definitely consider Charcroft Z-foil, Vishay bulk foil.

I always use this type of volume control now; I prefer it to a stepped attenuator! OK, I may be in a minority here but I know I'm not alone ...

Do please try this!
Regards
Mike

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Help me tame my new potentiometer--too sensitive - Mike C 01:45:36 06/07/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.