Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

The Serious Stereo amp has 850mV PS ripple?

It seems the posts below mine have been locked - I can't reply to them. So I will post here.

Jeff: "Don't be so gullible. Dennis runs GPA 604s, like you, and in 2005, Six Moons reviewer gave his amps and speakers " Best Sound At The Show", or something like that. Read the Six Moons review, By S. Harrell, on DF's web site Raymond. His supply is similar to my suggestion."

Gullible? As we have discussed before, I listen to a lot of "quiet" music at low levels and I do find amp noise distracting. I can certainly hear 4mV on the output and prefer less than 3mV (currently I run between 1 - 2mA wit AC heaters). I don't believe I would hear the hum from one of Dennis' amps from rooms away - he'd not design an amp like that - but that is not what you initially were referring to. If 850mV does translate to 50mV out of the output transformer, then that would indeed be (very) audible. I vaguely recall PJ saying that ~ 300mV PS ripple would result in an audible noise when using efficient speakers.

So you initially state that 850mV is okay then cite Dennis' circa 2005 Serious Stereo 2A3 amp as an example. Just to be clear - you are suggesting that Dennis' amp produced 850mV of power supply ripple?

Jeff: "In 2015, DF will "smoke" everyone in tube amp land at the upcoming show - I WILL predict. He has been busy doing positive things. !!!"

I am sure Dennis' system is sounding fine and some folks are going to love it. He is certainly taking the paradigm as far as it can go and is investing more effort than many (most?). I'd expect that effort to reap some benefit.

In the context of the discussion however, you appear to be citing the Serious Stereo amp as an example of 850mV ripple? Or perhaps using it to support claims for the general PS topology, though this would be off-topic unless it has ~850mV ripple. Maybe you are just taking the opportunity to promote it.

Regards,
"Confusion of goals and perfection of means seems to characterise our age." Albert Einstein

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.