Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: +2

"Glad you had a chuckle. I'm not an EE - am I expected to know this, or is asking questions okay?"

I wasn't laughing at you, it just reminded me that we have a few members here who invented hi-fi. They're constantly "discovering" micro-minutiae that the rest of us should care about, often just by listening. :)

"So, the fluctuations do occur in SET amps playing music, but should average over time. Are the fluctuations relevant then, or should a supply provide enough energy to handle these over the time taken for the averaging to occur? Or both?"

The fluctuations must be averaged over time for the purpose of determining whether average current is really changing. However, they represent *instantaneous* changes, because they mirror what the source material is doing. In that respect, the power supply must be designed so that those instantaneous current changes don't create instantaneous voltage changes on the B+ rail. IOW, the PS must be able to hold it's voltage constant despite changes in average current, as well as the instantaneous current changes that result from amplifying music. The former is where regulation comes in. However, in a SET, average current changes are really miniscule, so I don't worry much about power supply regulation. The instantaneous current changes are a big deal though. Luckily, the supply only needs to exhibit a low Z output over frequency to deal with that. This is a reasonably simple goal to accomplish, and we have tools now that weren't readily available 20 years ago. The supply can be modeled in SPICE, and the simulation will let the designer "look" back into the supply to see how it will react to the amplifier's instantaneous current demands. LTspice (also known as Switcher CAD) is free to download online.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: +2 - Triode_Kingdom 08:17:13 05/28/15 (1)
    • RE: +2 - 91derlust 13:06:41 05/28/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.