Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

damage to the tx /tubes

Hi Russ57,thanks for your explanation. Your post appears as deleted, btw. I rescued it from my email.
"The transformer has stored a field that would like to oppose these changes. Under conditions of tube cuttoff/no current that field would like to produce an unlimited voltage to attempt to keep a current draw happening. This could cause a failure in the insulation of the transformers and ruin them. At maximum current draw you run the chance
of running your 300B's way above their current ratings and greatly reducing tube life."
This insulation failure happens with a huge increase on the trafo temperature while it is oversaturated? As far as I remember, always they are running at a low temperature.
My amp sounds very well, but your comment provoke me a little doubt about the health of the insulation on my pair of tx, how can I check if the insulation is still in perfect shape? or when this insulations fail, just kills the trafo and there is no more sound?
Also thanks for your advises about speakers.
I was researching on Lowthers and on 3 way systems, like the derivated from klipsch horns (Crites and others) or similars or maybe the 2 way duplex derivated from Altec 604 GPA, -. Drivers like you mention and a lot more like BMS,Beyma, etc, Volti horn,etc and several projects associated to them are under my sight now.
thanks again

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.