Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: PING to Audio Note Kit One owners

Hello Peter,
This is a very good news!
if is only the isolation, will be great, almost no cost involved.
But one thing caught my attention: the first time I measured the insulation on the regulators, like you asked, was good and the second time was wrong, which tells me that the problem probably was intermittent. However, every time I tried to switch On the amp, with all tubes inserted, R1 is beginning to burn, not intermittently.
Well, surely, when replacing the regulators after the short circuit, I left them too tight, not suspecting the consequences.
Tomorrow I will buy the washers and mica to replace them. In the meantime, I will take off the GND isntalled for the test , I will connect again the cathodes capacitors and do a test, with all tubes, but without R1. If all voltages are OK, tomorrow, after replacing the washers and re-checking the voltages, I will install R1 again .... and if I have luck, will connect a source and listen to music.
Peter, I want to thank you greatly for your valuable assistance.
The best for you,
Beto.
P.S. This whole problem started with an accident when I was trying to eliminate a noise that produced exclusively with the very lower frequencies, like a motorboating. I think it was eliminated or at least reduced by putting rubber bands below the output transformers to absorb vibration. However, as it is likely that the problem is still there without being solved at the source. As hennfarm mentions in his post, it could be a problem of oscillation. You have had to deal with a problem like this before?
I have my Kit One for more than ten years and never had a problem, the noise started about two years ago.
Again, thanks so much for your help!

Edits: 05/10/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.