Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: PING to Audio Note Kit One owners

Hello Beto,

Your power transformers is Ok. It is normal that all tensions are higher then normal. The power transformer is now not "loaded" by anything. So no current is flowing through the transformer wires and no voltage is "lost". The 425Vac rating is only correct when the power transformer is loaded with the design current. The power transformer is capable of much more current then the Kit-1 will ever ask, and as a result the tensions will always be higher then the 425Vac. When the Kit-1 would ask about twice the current, then the tensions would be around that 425Vac.

Just for my information, because I don't think it has anything to do with your problem. I saw the photo of the inside of your amplifier. What is the capacitance value of C1 and C2.
According to the schematic they should be 47uF each. Those are the correct values. Don't increase that value. Your rectifier is much happier with the 2 pcs of 47uF in series with each other. Together they make a 23,5uF capacitor that can take 800V. After you have solved the problem, you could replace these 2 capacitor with a single 22uF paper in oil capacitor (630V or higher, for example a ASC or GE) The oil capacitor will sound better.

Before you test the function of the output tubes, it would be best to de-solder resistor R5 and R7 (on one side is enough) on the power-PCB. This will take the driver board out of the equation. (no current/tension can reach the driver board now)

Peter

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.