Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: dc to dc stepdown convertors for dh filliments?

VT127A have 5V 10.5A filaments , I have the transformers/chokes but the filament supply alone would weigh 25kgs per channel . This is why I'd consider a halogen supply here . It's nice to get optimum sound but sometimes nicer to have an amplifier that can be moved :)

Exactly my two points:
1) definitely can be moved: just look at the size of the filament supply that I ended up using on my RH813, getting 2 secondaries 10V 5A each as well as one 6.3V 1A secondary for the driver tubes;
2) black background, cleaner than DC - with very clean sound, it's AC after all, but without the hum, and sounds a bit cleaner than mains AC (which might be an effect of the totally black background compared with some mains hum from ordinary AC).

It's definitely worth the effort, but not really as cheap as it looks because the parts needed for the mod eventually cost just as much as the electronic transformer itself.

http://rh-amps.blogspot.com/

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: dc to dc stepdown convertors for dh filliments? - Alex Kitic 16:36:42 04/30/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.