Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Audio on the bias

Jack
What I was referring to was when you put the scope on the bias supply source while music is playing,you can sometimes see audio riding on the C- rail even tho it may be little..Since the C- rail is joined to the output side of the output coupler thru a 270k grid leak resistor,that's where I was able to see audio.The caps were old obviously and I realize it's not a lot of audio but it was there and even tho it's separated with a grid leak resistor to the last filter cap in the C- supply,it makes you wonder how much of the audio signal may getting filtered out by that cap when it's good.
The only reason it made me take more interest in the C- rail is when I had a Citation 2 I was working on that had an open bias winding and Jim just had me put small toroid in its place with a bridge and when I did that,it was made a sonic improvement over my Citation 2s that were built the same way. After that I just put that little toroid in all four of my Citation 2s even tho the bias winding was good..I figure a well executed C- supply with a lower impedance may have a positive effect? Then again maybe I'm over analyzing this.It won't be the first time.LOL
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

Edits: 04/25/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.