Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: HK Citation 2 rebuild questions

I don't take measurements or base my likes and dislikes on theories or specs just listening. I have listened to probable close to 100 different brands and series of electrolytics and many many other film caps over a period of 10-15yrs. I have seen where caps that measure well sound really good and where caps that measure really well sound bad. Diodes that are supposed to be really good sound OK and generic run of the mill ones sound excellent. All of my opinions are based only on listening no measurement devices and no theory. From my experience, there are subjective qualities present in parts that aren't measured but experienced by some listeners and maybe not others. I have never listened to your products but I would guess that I would prefer the stock version with certain parts changes over the rebuild with parts with good data sheets. The main problem that is introduced by the wrong parts is an electronic sound however subtle that kills naturalness. When I listen I am comparing to the way I think live music should sound. Specs and theory are not part of the equation and are not enough to built great music makers. More capacitance is sometimes better but sometimes not. It must be judged by listening. For example, the noise you say is present in the old diodes. It may not bother the human ear such as seen with second order distortion. It actually sounds good to some but alas its a distortion so should be bad right? Not all distortion or "noise" causes problems for the listener you have to listen to find out what's what. After your post its clearer to me where the disconnect is. Different philosophies.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: HK Citation 2 rebuild questions - Ping 23:18:57 04/24/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.