Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Inductively-Coupled Cathode Followers

I'm not a big fan of these direct-coupled output schemes. However, I think low power aficionados (15W or less) have long overlooked the benefits of the inductively-coupled cathode follower. Rather than using huge numbers of parallel tubes to achieve a match, it's much more reasonable to use, say, two 6AS7s and a matching transformer. The transformer would not only require a much lower turns ratio than anode-coupled designs (i.e. improved frequency response), but by virtue of the reduced impedance transformation, less driving voltage at the grids of the followers. I believe followers in this configuration could be coaxed into producing as much power as their anode-coupled counterparts, and they would do it in a much more linear fashion. Unfortunately, the rush to produce ever greater output levels in the '50s and '60s completely overwhelmed any desire to research this topology. To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever made the requisite transformers for this service. Really a shame.

Edits: 04/23/15 04/23/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.