Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Hammond preamp

The interest in modifications is this:

The owner, my customer, wants to use this preamp with the Trek II RV-1 aftermarket spring reverb unit (probably the best sounding spring reverb I've ever heard), which was designed for use with the AO10 and AO28 preamps in Hammond 2 and 3 series organs. It intercepts the signal to the output triode (half a 6SN7 or 12BH7, very similar to this older preamp) and adds reverb. Its input impedance is slightly lower than the 1M grid resistor here, but it's above 500k. If raising B+ would increase signal swing from the input stage, this might make the preamp and spring reverb more compatible. Trek II has never sold one for this application, and knowledge of these preamps is scant, even among Hammond/Leslie techs. You just don't see them that often. I've tried the Hammond/Leslie lists, and no one bit. Unfortunately, a lot of the older guys who used to like to talk about this stuff have drifted away from the groups.

Complicating matters is the fact that the organ and owner are in another state. It's being sent to me because I work on a lot of Hammond preamps, but I've never worked on this model. So I'm trying to go into this knowing as much as I can... If it weren't for the owner's interest in the reverb unit, it would be a straightforward rebuild job, and I wouldn't need to ask any questions.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.