Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Wow..The Mac Mc240 and the Mc75s and the Mc225 are all doublers

and they don't generate a lot of heat unless people leave old leaky caps in the unit that stress the power trafo..The Heath W6m also uses a doubler and as far as the Citation 2 running hot,that was true back in the day when they were biased at a 100ma per tube..With the McShane mods and the reduced bias on the tubes,they run much cooler than before.
I wasn't a fan of doublers either until I realized their wonderful attributes..Do you realize the power transformer in a doubler has fewer turns of wire that is thicker and heavier and therefore has a lower impedance secondary.
The biggest reason for doublers back in the day was the price and availability of higher voltage and higher current silicon diodes.I wish they would use them again.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

Edits: 04/22/15 04/22/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Wow..The Mac Mc240 and the Mc75s and the Mc225 are all doublers - Michael Samra 04:40:16 04/22/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.