Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Hammond preamp

I absolutely would not make changes to the circuit topology or component values in that organ. Hammond went to great lengths to create exactly the sound they wanted, and it has been my experience that there is typically a great deal of interaction between the various circuits. A cap that appears to limit highs unnecessarily in one stage may be compensating for a response peak or key click generated several stages back. It's all too easy to make what appear to be reasonably appropriate changes, only to find that a specific characteristic of the tone has been degraded, or a new problem appears. Also, the Model E was specifically designed and "tuned" to compete with church pipe organs. I doubt that anything that changes the tone will actually be beneficial.

I wouldn't hesitate to replace all the filter/bypass/coupling caps with modern equivalents of the same value, and to ohm out all the resistors to see which ones are out of tolerance. At that age, nearly all the smaller parts will need replacement.

Love these tonewheel organs, my own is a M-102 spinet. Hoping to pick up a Leslie for the living room this weekend. :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.