Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Pentode vs. Ultra Linear

The last couple of amp projects I have had built use pentode as opposed to ultra linear. I have to say that I find pentode sounds (subjectively) better than ultra linear amps I have owned (which includes the mighty HK-Citation II).

I've been pondering WHY this seems to be, when I cam across this thread about Stu Hegman talking to Bob Carver. This passage is very telling:

" And he didn't. The Citation V was pure pentode, as was the subsequent Lafayette 550 and everything else he designed from then on. I asked how come. He explained that when the plate pulls the top of the output transformer winding towards ground, the ultra-linear tap pushes the screen grid so low that it renders the tube unable to drive difficult loads. In addition, he pointed out that the normal idle potential on the screen grid regularly exceeded a safe voltage, often causing output tubes to blow up. The tube manufacturers hated it, but had to go along or lose market share, and so changed the specification for screen voltage in order to allow ultra-linear output stages. I wonder if they changed the tube design, or just changed the screen voltage specification."

One of the reasons I gave up on the HK Citation II was the dodgy longevity of current 6550/KT88 tubes. I ran out of NOS GE 6550A's. There are some good sounding ones made today, but too many issues with how long the tube can go before something bad happens. They are not cheap, either.

The last two DIY amps I have are pentode output. One uses the 1625 tube in a quad mono setup at 110 watts, and a pair of 6883B tubes at 90 watts. The output tubes are NOS, readily available, very reasonably priced, and RELIABLE. They both sound outstanding. The dynamics, low level detail, and quietness of the amps are remarkable.

So, anyone else work this out yet?

" Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you"

Satchel Paige

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - Pentode vs. Ultra Linear - Freo-1 07:30:21 04/19/15 (34)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.