Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: HK Citation 2 rebuild questions

Hi Mike,

First off, I'm glad to hear you are feeling better!

Just one thing - while the lower ESR, DF, and other desirable factors of film caps are nice to have, the added energy storage from the larger value caps in my kits makes it possible for the amp to deliver more peak power and deliver it for a longer period of time. While the larger caps have but a minor impact on RMS power they have a significant and measurable impact (for the good!) on short term peak power. This is VERY important with wide dynamic range material!!

Think about it - the Cit II was rated by H-K at 60 watts/channel RMS power and 130 watts/channel peak power into 8 Ohms. With the Cit II OPTs that requires a swing of just under 22 volts into the 8 Ohm load, and pushing 22 volts across 8 Ohms requires about 2.75 amps of current in the secondary. This is available from the power supply continuously.

To produce 130 watt peak power requires just over a 32 volt swing in the secondary and requires a primary swing of 635 volts (yes, the primary CAN swing above the rail for short periods). 32 volts into an 8 Ohm load requires 4 amps of secondary current. IF the power supply can deliver the current, the peak power can increase and be maintained for longer periods. This means the power supply should be capable of delivering well over the current requirements to meet its RMS spec - it should be capable of supporting peaks well above the RMS rating. In the Deuce that means more energy storage - bigger (and much higher quality, if not quite to the level of a good film cap) power supply caps. This results in improved peak power performance.

Do note that yes, I left out trafo losses and frequency related issues in the explanation to simplify things a bit.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.