Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: HK Citation 2 rebuild questions

"These were highly engineered and they didn't throw in random size capacitors willie nillie."

That a pretty strong assertion - you're saying that is what I do in my Citation kits? No way that's the case, no way. Back in the early 1960s Citation designer Stu Hegeman would have KILLED to have access to the parts I do now. He was limited by (among other things) cost factors, by diode durability issues, and by the parts he had access to. If he were alive today he'd be VERY pleased at how we treat his masterpiece amp.

BTW - define for me what you mean by "speed" and "flow" of the power supply.

And where in the world did you get the idea that modern parts are less "music-friendly"? Nonsense! For instance, you mean to say the fast/soft power supply diodes we now use that can handle 3 amps of continuous current and 600 volts PIV while generating near zero noise are not as good as the old "top-hat" diodes - the ones that were expensive as all get out and failed often if they pushed at all? One PRIMARY reason for the smaller cap sizes on older gear with solid state diode power supplies was that the rectifier diodes couldn't handle the currents! With today's far superior diodes capable of handling surges of 100s of amps (if need be) we are free to use cap values and caps with so much lower ESR than Hegeman could have even dreamed of.

I'm sorry, but IMHO you simply don't know what you are talking about. My comrade Don and I have redone HUNDREDS of Citations, how many have you done? How many have you heard? If you do a search and look for reactions to the performance of the "McShaned" Citations what do they say?

The preponderance of evidence is STRONGLY against you.

This post is not meant to be contentious either. But is IS meant to challenge the erroneous beliefs you are passing on and describing as indisputable facts.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.