Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: HK Citation 2 rebuild questions

Ok all....I'm not quite sure how to respond. I feel like you've all just beaten me up on the schoolyard and stolen my lunch money! So here goes...

To Michael Samra-I think if you actually reread my initial post in response to DAK we agree a lot more than you seem to think. Regarding the electrolytics I specifically said to replace them, just like you. We also agree about where to put the Sprague 160 capacitors. The "front" meant away from the output tubes in the early stages of the amp. It's not about leaving original parts in to say it's original. It's about leaving the right parts in that sound better than if replaced with newer, less music-friendly parts. And in reference to sacrificing reliability for sound quality, what I mean is that older parts can lack the overall reliability that new parts have simply because they are new. Quite obviously I don't recommend using leaking, cracked or bulging caps. That's ridiculous to suggest!

Where I disagree with you is on increasing the power supply capacitance. Its not usually a good thing in a well designed amplifier. These were highly engineered and they didn't throw in random size capacitors willie nillie. Or cheap out on small caps and then turn around and spend lavishly on oversized output transformers which are of the highest quality along with everything else. Would that make any sense? Getting back to the capacitors, the problem with greatly altering the amount of capacitance is that you can hear that it changes the speed and flow of the power supply which in turn effects the speed and flow of the amp and its overall coherence. Incidentally, the same holds true for guitar amps. Increasing the capacitance often can change the responsiveness(speed) of the amp to the player.

Again these are my opinions, its what I have experienced and heard. Its not meant to be contentious.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.