Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: HK Citation 2 rebuild questions

I'm sorry, but I don't think this is good advice.

Over 50% of those resistors were out of tolerance - do you really want to leave those in there?

Do you really want to leave those tired sockets and 50+ year old PVC wire in there, especially keeping in mind that it has been BAKED? It's WARM under the hood of a Deuce.

Do you really want to leave the broken fuse cap, the corroded RCAs and the tired speaker connections in the amp?

Where do you intend to get a reasonably close set of NOS power tubes? And what are you going to do when the intermittent bias winding solder joint in then power trafo lets go and takes out your $600-$800 power tubes - and maybe more?

Have you ever heard one of the Citations after they've been properly redone? You would be about the first to say musical performance hasn't made significant improvements. I've posted pics here of a Cit II amp I built for a Grammy winning jazz bassist - he says it's the best amp he's EVER heard.

I appreciate you taking the time to post and contribute, but honestly when the YOUNGEST Citation II was produced over 50 years ago "band-aid" approaches are inappropriate. Keep in mind that amp has much more in common with a Ferrari or a Porsche than a VW or a Chevy. And high performance gear needs more care than others. The amp deserves it!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.