Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

6BK7B cathode follower questions

I have a preamp that originally used a 12ax7 as a cathode follower. The tube is cascaded: ie both sides are tied in parallel. After reading up on cathode followers in a Naval Preferred circuits Manual, I have decided to use a 6BK7B or a 5687 instead of the 12ax7. Have any members used these tube as a cascaded cathode follower? I'm also interested in applying a negative voltage to the cathode. I would like to hear from any members who have had any experience with speeding up the negative traveling waveform. All I need is .775 RMS AC volts out into an output transformer that is (1200 to 600 ohm impedance). Is a white cathode follower faster in it's square wave fall time than a standard (non totem poled) cascaded cathode follower? Tektronix used a 6DJ8 cascaded cathode follower in a scope preamp with a negative voltage (-125V) applied to the cathode through a 5watt 22K resistor. There was CONSIDERABLE CURRENT DRAW. It would seem to me that transconductance affects rise-fall time or am I wrong? Thanks, Jim
"...the fool doth think he is wise but the wise man knows himself to be nothing but a fool." Will Shakespeare

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - 6BK7B cathode follower questions - mobiasloop 14:41:25 04/01/15 (19)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.