Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Effects of Source to Ground adjustment

Eli (and Tom),

Here's what I experienced on the scope in adjusting the AC balance pot. I was using dual inputs to show both sides of the splitter. The images are for 1 KHz at 2Vrms with 10 V per division I believe (please pardon the dust!):

1. At equal resistances, one side of the sinus form had a flat spot. That disappeared upon raising the overall resistance of the Source to Ground leg slightly.

2. Further increase in the lower leg "evened out" the top and bottom of the sinus form, so that their amplitudes matched (well, as much as I could get it to match).

So I thought that I was reducing second order HD by making the form symmetrical. Is that the correct idea? It did require slightly mismatching the resistances.

There is still a minor mismatch in amplitude of top and bottom, but note that the scope had drifted slightly in vertical position, so it's a little better than the reticle grid shows.

What is causing the flat spot in the first image with equal resistances on both sides of the splitter? Is bias insufficient in the 6922? Peak voltage at 2Vrms probably exceeds my 6922 measured bias at idle. Or is this a cutoff at the MOSFET? Or a sag? If this flat spot symptom could be corrected at the cause, would I be able to match the resistances and not have much distortion?

Thanks,

Jeff

Edits: 03/30/15 03/30/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.