Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Question...

Heat dissipation is not really affected. I use Rust o leum paint for patio grills and it works great (I like the satin finish)

I also lightly SAND the lams. I know its supposed to be a big no no, but if you use one of those sanding blocks you can keep the block square to the edge. In dissecting some transformers, the so called insulation is minimal and at the most seems to a lacquered finish or non existent. I really doubt that there is any insulation between the lams.

Here is the key. You do not want the lams jump across each other. The lams are directing the magnetic fields in the direction of their orientation. If you were, say, file the lams and have the edges over lap each other, that would be very bad for the magnetic fields. Definitely, do not use a circular sander, as the flash will cross lams with the orbital action.

Hand sanding with FINE grain sandpaper in the direction of the lams only, will remove most of the rust from the lams( silicon steel and very prone to rusting). Wipe clean and carefully examine the lams . You should be able to clearly see the demarcation between the lams. I use a bit of alcohol or acetone to degrease and then paint.

Actually the tighter the lams are aligned next to each other the better the magnetic control. Keep the lams tightly bolted together when sanding. This keeps any particles from falling between the lams.

I once visited the Golden Tube factory. They were assembling the outputs when I entered. Cores had been inserted and then the worker took a 2 by 4 and hammer an whacked the lams to align them !!!!!

Just my experience

Edits: 03/27/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Question... - unclestu 13:13:03 03/27/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.