Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: I realize specs aren't everything...

My primary concern with the HF 14 is power capability. Additionally, recent experience with a few vintage Williamson designs really points out the demands they place on the OPT and feedback network parameters, mostly resulting from the number of stages contained within the OA feedback loop. Just an opinion but......while I have no doubt that what you propose is possible, I don't believe it would be an easy exercise because there aren't many higher power Williamson amp designs out there to duplicate. IOW, not a great first scratch DIY project due to the number of unknowns involved + need for test equipment nec to "tune" the feedback network.

Again, just an opinion, but if I was in the OP's situation, I'd be considering a clone of one of the Dyna monoblocks such as MKII, MKIII or MKIV. All are proven designs using readily avail. reproduction iron and current production tubes (using the aftermarket boards). The aftermarket circuits can be done p to p if boards aren't acceptable. Another potential advantage of these clones is that the circuits are simple and simple circuits seem to compliment the Quad sound.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.