Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: A Mercedes and a bus...

"Signal we want is 180 degrees out of phase and one leg is inverted by circuitry..."

It can be done with active circuitry but many sources are inherently balanced.

A dynamic microphone is like a speaker used in reverse.

A coil of wire sitting in a magnetic field being moved by a diaphragm by sound pressure.

When the wire is moved, signal voltage is generated because magnetic flux lines are being crossed.

That coil wire has two end, neither end has to be grounded.

A moving coil phono cartridge (or a moving magnet phono cartridge for that matter) is an inherently balanced signal source.

When used with a step up transformer there's no need to ground either end of the coil or either end of the primary winding of the step up transformer.

When we hook it up this way using one "2 conductor shielded cable" for each channel, (looking a one channel)

we get CMR for any noise picked up in the tone arm cable.

Many studio units (micpres, EQs, compressors, mixing consoles, etc) are balanced in and balanced out using input and output transformers.

The circuitry in between is single ended but the primary winding of the input transformer and the secondary of the output transformer are inherently balanced as long as you don't ground either end of the windings.

The secondary of the output transformer on your tubed power amp is inherently balanced and so are your speakers. The only reason to ground them (if your not using global negative feedback) is safety. BTW, I don't ground mine.

Tre'

Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: A Mercedes and a bus... - Tre' 08:25:35 03/15/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.