Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: My question was meant to be generic

Hi,

I will ask Panhead if he will take a call, and get back to you ASAP.

I always figured your moniker meant vintage Harley !!

You ask: "When you reduce the DCR of a choke, do you compensate by adding resistance to other sections of a circuit, to bring voltages within operating parameters?"

Well, you can, if necessary, add resistances to the power supply going to the front end stages, that is usually NOT a problem to do, if needed.

But, adding to the Finals is a whole different thing. We wanna have as LOW a series resistances as we can get , to the Finals !!!.

Lets talk MK 3s. Lets say, the stock choke is 55 Ohms, and we, as ONE example, replace it with two small 7.8 Ohm chokes - totaling 15.6 Ohms. So, the stock single L/C filter is replaced with / becomes L1/C1/L2/C2. 55 Ohms minus 14.6 Ohms is a reduction of 39.4 Ohms in series to the Finals.

Lets say, the whole MK.3 pulls 140 mA., what is the voltage increase with the lowered series choke resistances ?

That is Ohms Law, 0.014 A. times 39.4 Ohms, equals 5.15 VDC increase of the B+. Lets say the B+ was 425 VDC, well, that is only a 1.3 % increase in B+. However, the MK. 3 PLAYs a whole lot different, according to what Panhead tells me. AS I recall, Mark used 2 HY at 9.5 Ohms, a single choke replaced.

I HOPE I have answered your Question OK. Will ask Mark if you two motorcycle enthusiasts can speak !!! Later !!

Jeff

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: My question was meant to be generic - drlowmu 08:04:39 03/11/15 (1)
    • Thanks - 1973shovel 02:43:02 03/12/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.