Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Frequency Compensation

Yes.

A high pass filter, like bypassing a cathode, will shift phase one decade above the -3db point. So if the cathode is bypassed to 2Hz the amplitude and phase will be correct at 20Hz. If the cathode is only bypassed to 7Hz then the phase is shifted all the way up to 70Hz.

A low pass filter, like the output impedance of a driver stage vs. the Miller capacitance of the output tube, will shift phase a decade below the -3db point. If the low pass (output impedance vs. Miller capacitance) has a -3db point of (let's say) 50kHz, the phase will be shifted all the way down to 5kHz.

If we want the amplitude to be flat and the phase to be not shifted, 20-20kHz, then all the low pass filters need to have their -3db points at about 2Hz and all the high pass filters need to have their -3db points at about 200kHz.

Of course there are other causes within a system that limit the frequency response and cause phase shifts. Like the output transformer, speakers, etc. But that's not an excuse to design our stages wrong.

I believe we should take care of the filters that we can take care of and not look for excuses not to.

Loss of amplitude and phase shift within a system will add. Minimizing them, where we can, will pay off.

Tre'
Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.