Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: How to determine the voltage drop in an unloaded and loaded PS

I use the PSUII power supply simulator. The transformer HV winding & choke winding resistance must be inserted for accurate results. Additionally the capacitor ESR should be inserted as well, but is not as critical as the winding DCR.

Performing an educated guess at the transformer & choke winding DCR, 322 volts @ 200ma & 495 volts @ 10ma (bleeder resistor).

Wanting 400 volts, change the rectifier tube to a 5R4G and add 10uF capacitor for a CLCLC. The simulator indicates 390 volts @ 200ma. If the transformer has a 115 volt primary and your line voltage is 120 volts, that 400 volts should be achieved. Load at 10ma produces 531 volts.

Notes-
Simulation included 31 ohm DCR for power transformer, 30 ohms for 3HY choke & 60 ohms for the 7HY choke.

I prefer a 5R4G rectifier due to the high PIV rating. It should not arc inside the tube.

I would use caution using a new manufacture 5AR4 on a 800 VCT winding. A NOS 5AR4 should be ok.

Capacitor input is more demanding on a transformer due to the higher peak to average current demand. About 140 degrees F is the maximum temperature I recommend for a vintage power transformer.

Edits: 03/03/15 03/03/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.