Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Some guys showed up at RMAF in Denver a few year ago...

Run 600 VDC across the tube. Decide your loading and plate current, and drive requirements based on that.

The 304TL is plenty linear-- so what is practical works just fine-- no need to morph this thing into a monster. Use a LOT of forced-air cooling.

I was in the room you show at RMAF. This system sounded good, warm, friendly, with low distortion.

Compared to the "ultimate"-- whoever that was-- it scored maybe a 9.3-- of a possible "10".

It's best quality was an effortless ease. What little it lacked was not enough extended highs, and it was slightly euphonic-- not in a necessarily bad way. A good feature which it had was bass that was real--not bloated, and not recessive or peaky.., but which underlaid the music in a positive way-- not overbearing. This shows good woofer cone-control and good execution of speakers in the demo room..

Could one live with this system over a period of years? YES, I think you would keep it.

The Von Gaylord room sounded good also, with their oil-cooled ceramic-triode amps. Von Gaylord demo rooms should always be attended at an audio show, no matter who you are or what you represent. I always make it a point to visit them as well as most others.

---Dennis---

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.